Thursday, December 9, 2010

In a corporate environment, Instructors face various learning styles in every class whether it is a one day course or a 20 day course.  Our advantage is that our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of every learning style with a little lecture, activities for large and small groups, individual activities, teach backs and web-based training and debrief.   As instructors, we are conscious of the fact that every participant has a unique learning style however; our mandate is to deliver the curriculum as written.  This is done for a couple of reasons; 1) for equity/legal reasons to ensure that every participant receives the same information and everyone has the same opportunity to be successful in their position and; 2) because we have a lot of information to cover in a short period of time.  However, it does not mean that we can’t have our own personal teaching style.  We spend time developing this competency to ensure we meet the needs of our participants. 
I completed the online learning styles inventory and the results tell me that I am balanced in both dimensions of the scale scoring 1-1 on the scale.  I lean toward being reflective meaning I like to think things through first.   I also lean towards sensing.  I know this is true because I am a bottom line person.  Don't worry about softening me up first, just give me the facts.  I enjoy solving problems using a methodical process and I frequently check my work.  I am not so good with abstracts or theories but I do like hands on learning and I need to know real world application.   The inventory also told me that I am verbal and I do enjoy written words and explanations.  I take great notes on conference calls and when collaborating with peers, I can always refer back to my notes.  This helps to keep us on track with our tasks.  Finally, I lean towards global learning.  I need the big picture first but sometimes that can get me in trouble if I don’t understand the what, where, when and why behind the story.  
I viewed the video conversation with Dr. Felder at Cal State Dominguez and he discussed his research on learning styles.  He mentioned that instructors can be sensing or intuitive and need to have a good balance in their own learning style in order to work with all students.  It is impossible for an instructor to adapt his or her style to each student’s style and students must have a good balance to get the most out of their educational experience.  For this reason, it is a good idea if students understand how they like to learn to get the most out of their educational experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment